Successful staging is the art of using marketing and decorating techniques to create an environment that buyers can aspire to have– “If I buy this house, I can live like this.” A skilled stager uses the art of “positioning” to create emotional connection points throughout the home so that when buyers step into the house they FEEL HOME - eight steps known as the FEEL HOME Staging Philosophy
1. First impressions - Room by room, the stager will take note of buyers' first impressions, what grabs us, what glares at us and what gives us a feeling of home. Stagers assess scale, balance, rhythm, pattern, texture and color to find simple solutions to create harmony.
2. Eliminate clutter - The packing starts now as we recommend what should be removed from each room to create a more clean, open and spacious feel.
3. Emphasize the positive while downplaying the negative - The stager identifies the focal points and then emphasize what they love about the room and distract from the negatives.
4. Lighten up - Focusing on lighting and color, the stager will help you make each room into a bright, warm and inviting space.
5. Home buyers’ appeal - The stager will depersonalize each space so that buyers are not reminded that this is your home. They will see it as their own.
6. Obligations – cleaning and repairs - Together we get rid of the buyers' mental repair list by making sure that we do it ourselves.
7. Modernizing - We use what you already have and recommend items for you to purchase now, for staging and for future use in your new home, to update and modernize your look.
8. Emotional connection points - Creating the "Wow Factor" is where the successful stager really shines. Here we build in the subtleties that make the buyers subconsciously "feel home" and desire to live there. Creating those emotional connection points is the effective merger of marketing strategy and merchandising.
*Adapted from the Home Staging Resource staging certification program.